Sustainability – Packaging Optimization, Life Cycle Approach, Material Recovery Facility, Circular Economy, Consumer Trends, Setting Up for Success
This workshop-based packaging design course provides the tools and insights to deliver better packaging solutions based on taking a life cycle approach.
Course Details & Pricing
Eastern Standard Time/New York.
- Business case for sustainability
- Life cycle assessment and approach
- Optimized packaging design for waste reduction
- Recycling challenges at a Material Recovery Facility (MRF)
- Applying circular economy concepts
Who should attend?
Anyone working within the packaging value chain from designers, developers and decision makers to raw material suppliers, manufacturers, brand owners and retailers to waste management, re-processors and municipalities.
- Key drivers of packaging optimization for the total value chain
- Extended Producer Responsibility in Canada and Europe
- Addressing risk and cost factors
Life Cycle Approach
- A common language – The Global Packaging Protocol for Sustainability
- An overview of Life Cycle analysis tools
- Finding balance – optimization, sustainability and waste reduction
- LCA case study
Material Recovery Facility
- What happens to packaging in a Material Recovery Facility (MRF)
- Design for Recycling
- Recap of Design for Recycling (DfR) and Design for Environment (DfE)
- Core principles of a circular economy
- Packaging solutions that reduce waste (sometimes more packaging means less waste)
- Addressing consumer trends by segment
- Packaging guidelines for e-commerce
- Smart and intelligent packaging
Setting Up for Success
- How to set up and maintain a successful packaging optimization (and sustainability) strategy
- A toolkit to support designers, developers and decision makers
PAC Packaging Circularity Course Lecturers
The PAC Packaging Circularity Course is developed and presented by industry professionals, ensuring you get the most up to date information while advancing your career.
Dan Lantz, DBA, EP, MCIWM PAC NEXT Director PAC Global
Dan has more than 30 years of experience in end of life materials management. He worked in recycling operations for six years. He worked with Stewardship Ontario in the design of the Blue Box Program Plan and in the design and operation of the current BC-wide EPR-based recycling program. Dan teaches the Packaging Circularity course for PAC Global. Dan was the strategic advisor to the Canadian Plastics Industry Association for 30 years. Dan has written and presented over 100 papers/presentations on waste diversion. Dan has specialist knowledge of EPR and stewardship, package design optimization and recycling program and facility design and operation.
Andrew Macdonald PAC NEXT Program Manager PAC Global
Andrew Macdonald manages PAC Global’s packaging sustainability and circularity program – PAC NEXT. As the lead for PAC Global on reusable packaging, Andrew tests models, tracks innovation, reviews research, summarizes findings via the PAC blog, and has a growing network of practitioners active in this space.